Old 07-16-22, 08:02 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by timtak
I am into speed, but another objective is cosplay. I get a kick of riding my Lance Armstrong bike with a "7" on it and every year when the TDF comes around I cycle a little bit faster in my team lyrcra. I want some of that Israel Premier kit!

But, no you are wrong, the pros do rock a "ridiculous" set up like mine and Robbie's when they are cycling time trials which is what Robbie's and my set up is for. If you ride in a team, in a big group, taking it in turns to lead the line, then the current un-aero aero road bikes may be a good idea (I say may, because I think even the pros may be dissatisfied with the comfort bikes that they are being encouraged to ride by the sponsors).
Sir Bradley
Alternatively, if you are more into cosplay than I am, and have a stronger desire to ride what the pros are riding, then a future shock may be for you, even when riding on your own.

Another objective is financial. Some people are I think financially inclined to sell expensive bikes to fat people, encouraging in them the cosplay dream of riding a pro's group ride bike, when the same customers would be much faster on something more suited to their style of riding.

99 % of the riders I see are riding alone.

So you are saying his advice is worthless. I find his advice to be very good. I did not understand the part where he said that it takes weight off the sit bones, and sitting on ones glutes until recently. I thought it was a crazy idea, but I now feel it is great. I now sit on my saddle a bit like I am sitting on the seat of a recumbent, and push forwards rather than stomping down (explained here).

The diet advice is entirely an optional extra. In order to keep from getting fat again, it is a good idea, I think, in general to find things and activities that incentivise remaining non-fat. If you keep wearing baggy trousers then no one will say "hey, nice style!" because they won't see how thin you are. I recommend therefore buying tightish jeans if you get thin rather than sticking with form-hiding baggies. Similarly if you get thin and keep riding a Clydesdale geometry you would not enjoy the aerodynamic benefits of getting down long and low. If you do get a genuinely areo bike however, like Robbie's, then you will be encouraged to remain thin because going fast is fun.

I write a list of things that I attempt to use to encourage me to stay thin in the description of the photo below.

The Japanese Diet by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr
I am not as thin now alas. Let's keep up the fight!

Getting as low as he says should not be a primary objective. Rather, maximizing the Watts/CdA is more effective. Low like he advocates is not always faster. The current trend is not so low. It is 36 cm bars with flat untaped on top and integrated stems with no cables exposed. The fastest position is not in the drops. The aerodynamic perspective of the video is outdated by at least 10 years. I can't say anything about the seat position portion other than I just bought a Cobb rando saddle and it is not comfortable and not very well constructed.

He absolutely said weight is taken off the sit bones and hands (see 5:20 to about 5:30 in the cip), which is ridiculous. At a given cadence and power, there is a fixed amount of a rider's weight being supported by the feet/pedals. The rest is split between the hands and sit bones. The distribution of that remainder depends on many factors, but both cannot be reduced. It is either or scenario. Either you put more weight on your hands and less on your rear end or vice versa.

I did not say all of what he says is worthless. His two comments that I referenced are ridiculous and worthless to my style of riding. He said a certain very low position was an all day position at 5:40 in the clip. I'd like to see him ride 10-12 hours like that. yes, worthless opinion to me. Even when I was a young and fit racer, I could never hold that position all day. WRT to the weight on hands, feet, and saddle.....I did not look at your reference, I can do a freshman free body diagram and after 50+ years of riding, this 99 percenter will stick with his model. Weight is a zero sum game from hands, feet, and saddle with power and cadence determining the force on the pedals and position apportioning the remainder to the hands and saddle You think you are right, but you are wrong