View Single Post
Old 10-29-21, 11:45 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,860 Times in 6,072 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I have a dumb, wheel on trainer (Kinetic Road Machine). It transmits estimated power data via BT, which is pretty darn close to my Stages crank PM. You absolutely can get fitter on a dumb trainer, but the key is intensity and consistency. I do both TrainerRoad and Zwift (often simultaneously: TR for the structured workout and Zwift for distraction). That said, all my friends who have gone to a direct drive smart trainer say that the experience is more immersive and therefore less boring. Plus, it's just super efficient to have the bike on the trainer and all ready to go on a cold and wet winter morning before work. Since we may actually have a wet winter here this year, I'm going to be asking Santa for a Wahoo Kickr or Elite Suito.
Fingers crossed!

I can't justify buying a direct drive trainer, having bought a wheel-on smart trainer last year, at a time when I already had a perfectly serviceable dumb trainer, but I did make up a 'training wheel', so I can stop burning up the GP5000 on the bike I'm using.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey: