View Single Post
Old 11-02-21, 06:33 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I used a CycleOps Fluid 2 for my first real year of indoor training and used estimated power for the first few months. I then bought a pair of power meter pedals so I could stop estimating the power and found real power was about 20 lower and also that the estimated power wasn't even accurate against itself as the trainer would warm up and get harder. I could see that when I checked estimated power vs real power one time.

The next year though I bought a Kickr Core and set it up and tweaked it so that the wheel and the trainer were aligned with each other so I never had to make adjustments and was able to swap on and off in 15 seconds. This only mattered because I had Campy and the trainer only supported Shimano at the time. Anyway, the riding experience is so much better. On Zwift I now have to climb the hills, on the Sufferfest I have to put out the power, I can ride any route in Rouvy and really feel it. (I have accounts on all 3 but only keep 2 active at any given time.) I know people like TrainerRoad but I don't need a fourth one. The lesson though was that the wheel off trainer is far superior, and the Kickr Core is probably at the high end but still within your budget. I just checked and they are $899 but you can probably get a discount somewhere, or at least points towards other gear. If nothing else you can get the dividend from REI if you are a member.

I just put the bike on the trainer yesterday and it is unlikely to come off until March, unless we get some tropical weather here in NYC this winter. But that doesn't matter, it only takes seconds to swap anyway.

Last edited by zacster; 11-02-21 at 06:37 AM.