Thread: Do you ever....
View Single Post
Old 02-27-20, 11:05 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,990 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Cycletography
Yes, I get odd looks and surprised reactions when people learn that I do century rides. Other cyclists and the folks at my local bike shop also think I'm nuts because I regularly do long-distance rides on an 7-speed Electra Townie loaded down with two rear panniers and a 30 lb. backpack that carries all my photography equipment. To be honest, the weight doesn't bother me in the least. I'm in Florida where I don't have to worry about mountains or high elevations; and the only "hills" I have to deal with are the local bridges. After two back surgeries the Townie's "crank-forward" design is the only upright bike I can ride that doesn't shred my lower back.

I love cycling, I love photography. For me it's fun, healthy and very rewarding to do both. It feeds the body and the soul, and the bike allows me to access locations for photography that aren't as accessible by car.
Boy, I get that one. When I was in my 20s, I'd drive around randomly and take pictures of what I saw. In my 60s, I ride my bike around randomly and take pictures of what I see. The two activities go together quite well.