Old 02-28-21, 03:26 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Aussomeman
thanks for all the replies, folks - didn't realize this would be such a hot topic. i kinda figured it wasn't too practical, but the situation is like this: i'm running my current mtb as a rigid singlespeed (with tensioner). it's an older aluminum frame with a 1 1/8" head tube, and i'm running a rigid threadless steel fork with it. i'm looking to pick up an old steel frame with horizontal drops so i can drop the tensioner and build the aluminum frame back up with some gears. i also just picked up a sweet old school white brothers fork with a 1 1/8" steerer that i'm planning to install on the aluminum frame, and the steel frame i'm looking at buying right now has a 1" head tube and no fork included. I was hoping perhaps i could just swap the fork from my current rig onto the steel frame, but if it's that sketchy, i'll probably just look for a 1" fork.

You can buy a brand new 1" steel fork, threaded or threadless for less than $100 new (more like $75) and used ones are common and inexpensive on eBay - If there's a vintage crown you're looking for, chrome, painted, whatever you want you'll find it fairly quickly. If you want a beautiful, light, top tier all carbon 1" threadless fork, you can get one for about $275 (columbus minimal) or something like Wound Up for different style points (but $$)

And all prices in between. So it's probably not worth a lot of time and effort to try to get by with what you have?
​​​​

Last edited by Camilo; 02-28-21 at 04:17 PM.