View Single Post
Old 09-18-21, 12:01 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
Originally Posted by scarlson
The Taylors originally had a paint guy who would do box lining with a brush. He either retired or died at some point, and Jack took over the box lining, using the roller of which you speak. I don't know exactly when the transition occurred, but you can probably tell if yours was done with a brush or a roller. Jack was the paint guy, but Norman mostly did the brazing and Ken was wheelbuilder and assembler.
I'm sure that my JT was done by brush, it has fats and skinnies on the box lines.

I was able to find some time yesterday and was able to clean and grease the headset. The HS grease was getting thick it would have been just as well if I did a couple of drops of oil, but given the age it's better off with new.

I started to match the details of the original parts with my spare auto paint. You can see the red directing the eye away from from the scrung that is the remaining paint.

The panto on the calipers is original to my purchase.

I've also started the the polishing of the rims, they need some true still usable. No dents very minor hop in the rear wheel, some runout side to side.

Can not see it in the picture but one of the crank bolts has been double die stamped, if it was US coin it would be worth something. I pantograph those just as the original were.

And for those that are of wonder, the serial number is 6459. With a seatpost size of 26.8, the post is the worst I've ever seen it will be scrapped for parts. I'm going to need a post that is slightly longer for this frame, which sucks cause I have 26.8 in Campy. I'll find something European if possible, if not I'll breakdown and use Sugino.
Likes For Mr. 66: