Old 09-21-21, 01:10 PM
Dreww10

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
Nobody is forcing YOU to buy a disc brake bike to replace the rim brake bike you already have, any more than they forced you to replace your downtube shifters in the 90s. But all new bikes are going to have discs going forward. And we all have to get used to it, for better or worse.
Actually they are. If my bikes were stolen tomorrow, I would buy a disc-brake bike to replace them, because the industry is eliminating all sources of parts to keep rim-brake bikes on the road. It is a poor strategic decision to buy a rim-brake bike at this point in time. I do prefer the look, simplicity, and lower cost of rim, but I'm really only sticking with it because I have two very nice bikes that are 100% paid-for. And unfortunately a lot of people in my position are going to be punished for making smart financial choices by ending up with a paperweight they can't get parts for.

If the industry came out and said it would continue to support, in some reduced but adequate fashion, the umpteen millions of rim bikes, you'd see most of these internet arguments go away. Most of the anger is directed at the reality they may not be able to keep using what they bought.