Old 07-29-22, 07:23 AM
BugZapper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Burley Coho XC with aluminum performance road bike?

I've been scratching my head trying to figure out how to get into cycle touring this year, given I don't have a "touring" bike (Trek 520, Salsa Marrakesh, etc.). I currently have an old Specialized road bike. I'm not in a position to shell out $1800+ for a new bike this year. I've checked Craigslist ads to see if anyone is getting rid of any older touring bikes in my state but the few who are want a pretty penny for them--even though in some cases they are 5-10 year old bikes. If I had the money they are asking for, I'd just wait a little longer and buy a brand new touring bike. So that leaves me with two choices: forget about doing any overnight (camp-out style) bike touring this year, or see if I can make my aluminum-frame road bike work with a bike trailer. I realize that a performance road bike is not going to have ideal gearing for longer tours with significant hills, etc. but I am only looking at doing a couple of overnight/2-3 day trips with mild to moderate climbs. Oh, and before anyone asks if I can attach stuff to my road bike, there are no places on the frame to attach pannier frames. It's a bare-bones, entry level road bike from somewhere around 2006.
Edited to add: I received an REI gift card from work which would enable me to buy the Burley Coho XC trailer without spending any of my own money.

Thanks for taking the time to read. I look forward to any advice you may have for me.

Last edited by BugZapper; 07-29-22 at 07:35 AM.