saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1054 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by BugZapper
Thanks for the responses, folks!

I hadn't factored in how much the Coho weighs. So I ended up coming across a BoB Yak trailer with drysack included for $100 on Craigslist. It's in good shape (frame has some scratches and minor dings, but nothing that should affect performance). I'm going to try it out with my old road bike to see how it works.
1. grease the bearings. the bob wheels have cheaper cost-point wheels. the seals aren't that great. be aware the bob wheel hub is much lower than your bike wheels, will go underwater and lose grease and later lock up.

2. stop by the hardware store and pick up a couple spare cotter pins used to secure the fork to the hub mounts.

3. a bit of pvc pipe ziptied to the underside of the front may keep the trailer stable when unmounted, keeping the fork ends out of the dirt. if you wanna get more complicateder, i've seen youtube videos to diy a foldout stand.

4. i found more joy loading heavier stuff (5 gallons water) towards the rear of the trailer.

5. the tires wear out faster than your bike tires. don't forget to carry a spare if on a longer tour.