View Single Post
Old 06-11-22, 07:37 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
My last bad crash the last thing I recall is hearing gravel under my tire under hard cornering, and recognizing this was going to be bad. There was a heck of a lot I did wrong that put me in that position. I woke up at the bottom of a ravine with what ended up being a broken neck and shredded thigh from the guardrail. I have no idea how I behaved in-between. Perhaps I crashed with great skill, allowing me to come away with no permanent injuries. Perhaps I crashed badly, resulting in a broken neck. I think I'm far better served learning and behaving differently to avoid putting myself in that situation, than practicing how to fly down a ravine without breaking my neck. I realize that's not a strictly either/or proposition, but I think avoidance is an order of magnitude easier to accomplish.
glad you lived to tell the story! I don't like guard rails. guard rails & the human body don't mix. saw the aftermath of a motorcycle accident where the biker was thrown up & then down onto one. dividing his body into 2 equal parts. would not have believed it, if my friend wasn't sitting next to me as we drove by. don't know why the single cop on scene, didn't cover the body halves. now, sometimes, when I ride fast, near guardrails, I have flashbacks of that scene