Chris516
24-Speed Machine

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez 24-Speed Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kickstart
By your many, many accounts, you take the lane in an aggressive manner to control what motorists do because you fear the possible unknown.
Mozad says he won't use the lane at all because he's afraid of the possibility of an aggressive pass.

My point is you and mozad represent the two extremes of a whole range of choices, all with potential benefits and liabilities.
As none of us are familiar with the location, or the OPs abilities, we can't say for certain what the best answer is, and its irresponsible to suggest such uncompromising extremes are unassailable solutions.
Ignorant motorists', who could care less about a cyclists' well-being, when passing them. Is only the first part of it. The second part, is actually in deference to the motorist. By my taking the lane, a motorist doesn't have to take their eyes off the road, when passing me. The motorist would also have to pass a cyclist, just like any motorized vehicle. By getting in the passing/oncoming lane.

My only deference to the OP's situation. Prior to even posing the question, is the changing of lanes. That is aided by the visible construction cones. The only aid apart from an on-street marking. When I was almost hit last year in a local merge lane. Is a sign saying the merge lane ends.