View Single Post
Old 03-23-21, 01:02 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Maybe you'll laugh, and maybe my wife will kill me.

Just ordered some skinny 29" wheels to fit my fat bike so I can run regular mountain bike tires.

Was cruising the internet and just ran into the old deal I had seen on the Framed brand at an outdoor gear webstore called The House years ago that actually still existed. For $100 they sell front and rear 135/170 mm quando hubbed wheels with cheap tires, tubes. 160mm rotors, and a 9 speed 11-34 SRAM cassette.

Obviously these were made for my 2012 Mukluk, and are being sold off cheap because no one will buy them. Well, I always wanted to try this set-up, so here goes.

Last year I gave away a really nice 29'er rigid bike that was very light. Well now I'll have a porky 29'er option. Wonder how wide the Mukluk will fit a 29" tire? I'll find out as I have a bunch of tires in the garage. Rotors, hmmm, hopefully I won't have to buy any.

So far this year the 9 speed Mukluk has been on 4 bike-packing trips and a lot of unloaded trail rides. It's great! Now I'm just so curious to see how it feels shod in different wheels/tires. Figure with the weight loss I can use the 34t cassette (have a 46t on there at the moment), plus I have a manual shift (move the chain) 22t granny on the crank spider.

I've been hankering to get my wife a fat bike so we can ride the beach together again. She doesn't want one though. There are some great long, I mean 30 mile long, beach rides we can do. The headwinds can be a bit daunting though. Maybe one day I could say, I just bought a fat bike to match my fat bike.