Old 05-22-21, 03:53 AM
laternser
laternser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Thank you for making me look up Roland Della Santa. I name I don't remember ever hearing before.

-----------------
Oregon Goodwill frequently has some real gems ... perhaps more than any other location.
I am guessing you did a direct pick-up at the location (so no shipping.)

I have been waging a small campaign to educate and encourage locations to offer shipping. Mostly by pointing out that they have just sold a $1000 plus bike for $89 etc. I made a case that one location left over $10000 of unrealized value on the table in a two week period. Plus, I am trying to providing information on accurately describing a bicycle: frame size, wheel size (tire size ... most seem to take a random measurement of the total height of a wheel), top tube length etc. Plus to encourgage photograping the components ... which is rare. Very little accountability or interest in describing anything accurately.

Feels a bit like I am shouting into the Grand Canyon. The locations have separate people with different tasks: 1) One for photographs; 2) One at home generating the listings; 3) One at home to answer querys; 4) Another at the top of the food chain that must rule on any change. None of them seem to ever actually meet each other. And none sees/receives a personal benefit from maximum monetizing the donations. Plus, there is no method for customer feedback ... thus no regulation and customer proteciton as seen with ebay or Amazon. Plus -- add the handicap of a site search engine for customers that is a primitive rats nest of javascript.

Have to laugh. The web masters put advertisements for other listed items at the bottom of the page where they are never seen ... but which more than doubles the data transferred with each items initial page loading. I was first interested in the site as a 'failure model' for gathering statistics. Roughly 64,000 items ending on any given day and 22000 to 26000 new listings Monday to -Friday. Then there is the sharing of customer data with the Facebook and Paypal empire ... selling out the customer. Every item page loading triggers a paypal cookie update.

Slow success. Discover Goodwill of Southern and Western Colorado just offered two rides bicycles with shipping available ... but the system generated an error and would not calculate shipping ... either a glitch or a mistake in listing the items with shipping. I have not investigated.

I believe there is an opportunity to either get more locations to offer shipping (via more people asking and increased profit);
or to develop a few people in prime locations that are willing to box and ship bikes for a reasonable fee.

My own effort to collect a legendary name on a frame. I would have bid on a nice (and very large) frame last week ... but the location failed to measure the frame so that I could confirm a 69cm seat tube. They could not find time (in 5 days) to answer a query ... but wrote me after the sale ended saying sorry (so they could 'close the ticket'). It was a classic lugged frame from the legend (Serrotta) who made frames for the Olympic riders back in the 1980's. Columbus tubing, Campy.
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/121551987

Sold for $360. Not much use for me (no eyelets for racks etc). Much of the joy of bicycling for me is an actual purpose for the journey.
Still ... a landmark company and it is rare for me to find a large frame of distinction. Ben Serotta just returned his brand to the market with all new bicycles. He and Zinn are unusual in the longevity of influence in the business of bicycles. Serotta knows how to proportion a bicycle ... bicycle geometry ... and how to make an enduring frame. (His current offerings run from $5,000 to $12,000.) Not bad for a fellow that founded his company in 1972 ... 49 plus years in the industry. Makes interesting reading. Nothing like focus.
... and love of the bicycle.