View Single Post
Old 12-13-21, 09:56 AM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts
After using as much force as I could at home without success and applying liquid wrench both to the outside and (through the bottom bracket cut out holes) from the inside I figured I would have to take the drive side off and use the bolt and nut method to try and get the adjustable cup off. Using the spindle nut and washers to clamp my thin wrench to the drive side cup I still couldn't budge it . The shop at the Bike Exchange has a dedicated wrench for this that completely encircles the cup so I took the frame in , hoping that with some help and a long breaker bar we could shift it.

As I was getting the tools together another volunteer offered to help me. He produced a Park pin wrench, and proceeded to unscrew the adjustable cup easy peasy. Apparently the penetrating oil had finally done it's job. The forking thing unscrewed with absolutely no effort at all.

Note I just ordered a can of Silicroil from Amazon. If I have to use penetrating oil I might as well use the best.
Likes For capnjonny: