View Single Post
Old 07-19-22, 09:28 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
I’ve noticed a difference in vibration damping on flat bars going to CF. Not massive but it is there. Likely makes no practical difference on a town bike, but on a MTB ridden in rough terrain it does.

The.differwnce is more noticeable with drop bars.

Whether it is “worth” the extra cost for that and the weight savings is entirely subjective

I don't screw around with cheap CF bars. I stuck with reputable brands,
Just to balance one piece of totally subjective data with another, I have never noticed any difference whatsoever between lightweight quality aluminum bars and lightweight quality carbon fiber bars.

Now, bar tape and underlying gel cushioning - yes there is a difference for me. But the bars, no.

I haven't been afflicted by weight-weenieism for a few years but IIRC, you can get inexpensive aluminum road bars weighting, say, 300 grams, and good CF bars aren't much lighter than 200 grams? I could be wrong, but saving maybe 3 ounces on a 29 pound bike? Anyone can spend their money anyway they want. Me? I'd save my money and in the future get a lightweight bike where lightweight parts are appropriate. Plus, for much cheaper, maybe for $0 if they need to be replaced anyway, you can save quite a bit of weight with higher quality tires and lightweight tubes and improve the ride much more than any handlebar switch will do (which, imho is none for the bars).

Last edited by Camilo; 07-19-22 at 09:36 PM.
Likes For Camilo: