Old 09-27-21, 05:05 AM
zimmy65

Bikes: 1985 Specialized Sequioa, 1984 Trek 720, Specialized Stumpjumper, Urbane Cyclist fixie, mid 1980s Nishiki Continental, Brompton M6L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
You are welcome! The blue was very nice, though touched up enough to put things at 50/50. And with the bike/frameset proving itself to be as good as it did, the mission became to aim for the best of what it could be (in a very practical sense). A magnum opus type build. Knowing all the components I have on it now, I sometimes thing it would have been fun to do a loony color like fuchsia metallic or Spaceballs Rainbow Glow Metallic 9000 like a lot of modern bikes, and really rub it in the face of The Current Year bikes, but I went with--especially with the silver elements of the 9000-era Dura-Ace--a subtle, classy-yet-quietly-dominant countenance. There's always next time for a funky paint/powder coat job, right? Your 720's red is such a demure red in sunlight. It's really nice, but in any other light is so 'quiet'. Sometimes vintage Trek coloring is a little too quiet, and I opine that they weren't more like certain Fujis or Nishikis or Schwinns. It's the vintage Trek "charm" though. My 720/728 is flippin' taupe...metallic (who does that???), accented with a brown metallic head tube and seat tube panel. Whatever, Trek, you had me at beautiful minimal lugs and full, lightweight, double-butted 531 tubing that rides amazingly. I guess I'll just have to survive!
I had the 720 frame sitting in the front hallway for a few weeks (much to my wife's chagrin). I'd imagine it looking kind of a boring red (not far off from my mid-80s Nishiki Continental) but then I'd look at it and be blown away by the subtle beauty of the deep metallic red and the contrasting blue decals. A previous owner had wrenched on a kickstand pretty tightly so the bottom of the chainstay are missing paint but otherwise the paint job looked pretty great. Then I decided to get the brake posts on the frame and fork as well as the funky seatpost clamp redone and suddenly the bike is going to be missing a lot of paint and a decision needs to be made. I've always wanted a bike in a British Racing Green type color. This may be the one. I love the matte look on your bike and hadn't considered that before. That may end up being part of the look too on my bike.