Old 09-27-21, 01:29 PM
zimmy65

Bikes: 1985 Specialized Sequioa, 1984 Trek 720, Specialized Stumpjumper, Urbane Cyclist fixie, mid 1980s Nishiki Continental, Brompton M6L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Keep in mind that my 620 here is a satin and not matte--there's some sheen to it, and that matters (to me)! Again, I looked at my planned build and purpose for the frame/bike in conjunction with its personality that I had discovered so far. A dark metallic blue looks nice, but Trek's original blue combined with the components I wanted to put on, plus knowing what kind of character the bike/frame had when riding, said a different color would likely be more appropriate. Gloss level, saturation, hue, and any additional effect like metallic or pearl--all can be employed when searching for something that you like and that fits with the bike's character and componentry, should you decide to care that much to do so. Or you can simply like a color and build the bike around that. BRG is a great color. In matte form, it's a bit of a military vibe, and in gloss, it's just a classic. Silver/polished components and tan wall tires would look excellent on it, but so would some choice gloss black elements (like a stem and seatpost, perhaps even a rim like an Open Pro black with machined brake tracks and silver hubs/spokes). The classy black elements can give depth, allure, and even impart a bit of moodiness. Obviously I find this fun to do, composing a bike not only for the ride/performance, but for the aesthetic.
Thanks for the thoughtful response! I actually misstated my point. I meant satin not matte. I don't think I've ever seen a bike with a matte finish! Can't imagine it would be very durable.

The decision around silver/polished vs gloss black is going to occupy a significant amount of time in the months ahead.

I don't have enough posts to put up a picture but I just received another frameset in the mail today that may jump to the head of the queue, mainly because I don't need to do anything to it to start a build! Once I get enough posts, maybe I'll start a thread.

You've set the bar high with this one and the one on the 720/728!
Likes For zimmy65: