Old 09-27-21, 02:24 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by zimmy65
Thanks for the thoughtful response! I actually misstated my point. I meant satin not matte. I don't think I've ever seen a bike with a matte finish! Can't imagine it would be very durable.

The decision around silver/polished vs gloss black is going to occupy a significant amount of time in the months ahead.

I don't have enough posts to put up a picture but I just received another frameset in the mail today that may jump to the head of the queue, mainly because I don't need to do anything to it to start a build! Once I get enough posts, maybe I'll start a thread.

You've set the bar high with this one and the one on the 720/728!
You're welcome! Thanks for clarifying the matte/satin thing. With powder coat being a very durable coating, matte to gloss doesn't matter. For wet paint, a good enamel will be durable as well, and you can get colors and clears in gloss or matte finish--they'll last the same.

Don't worry about giving you and your 720 some time to gel. It can either solidify your original intent with it, or take you to a different conclusion (even to the conclusion of not liking it enough to want to keep it, in spite of what many others say).