Old 10-18-21, 01:12 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Just as a for-the-record update here, because the absurdity is strong with me and this build, I finally found a 42cm (CTC) carbon handlebar--my preferred width--to replace not only the originally-installed 40cm bar (too narrow), but also the interim 42cm aluminum bar I've had for a little bit. 222g of glossy finish FSA SL-K loveliness, at a lovely, used-component price (as opposed to the considerable-yet-still-used cost of the 40cm carbon bars--I am saving mad money here).

All that to say, this bike weighs a literal whisper over 10kg, and so, for all intensive porpoises, this bike is 10.0 kg or 22.0 lbs. Super stupid, but in a really good way. Carbon bars are legit when it comes to smoothing the road buzz and small bumps/hits out of things. If your roads are smooth or not too eventful, you'll be fine without carbon. If you rock the city road system or any surface that's a bit more 'communicative', then carbon handlebars are a really great friend to have. That is my honest assessment. It's good to be 'home'. My '82 720 will keep its Nitto Noodle bars for all the obvious reasons, but on this full feature, modern-component-adorned 620, it's carbon. It is my ultimate road bike.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel: