Old 10-23-22, 11:45 AM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
About 30 years ago I made a frame/bicycle for the daughter of one of my friends. It was to help her be successfully taking a cycling class in school. She was tall with long legs and a short upper body and didn't fit well on any kind of production frame. We built it out of .7/.4/.7 thin wall main tubes. Those that have never ridden thin walled tubing are missing out. It isn't the weight but rather the feel those tubes can provide. The c-c seat tube length is 59cm and the top tube 53cm. The seat tube angle is 73º and the head tube angle 71º (to get the front wheel far enough out to miss hitting her foot). The bottom bracket height is a low 265mm since she wouldn't be pedaling through corners at speed like in a criterium.

Anyway my friend gave it back to me to do with whatever I wanted. It has silver 175 Came Chorus cranks. I replaced the 53 big ring with a more moderate 48. She wasn't going to be going on fast group training rides. The derailleurs are 6 sp indexed Shimano Dura Ace. The handlebars and stem (9cm) are Specialized then made by Nitto. They made the extensions that go into the steerer longer than normal. The Brakes are Royal Gran Compe. I doubt the bike has been ridden 200 miles in its entire life. Her riding adventures ended when the class ended. My friend's dream of riding with his daughter never materialized.

The lugs are Henry James investment cast. The down tube lug has an H cut out. The dropouts are stainless steel Henry James horizontals. The fork is an aluminum Kenesis. Here are some pictures. It is fun to see something in pristine condition made a long time ago. I'm curious what I'll do with it and if it can find a new home.

I painted it a purple pearl color

We chose a fastback style of seat stay attachment

The lugs were shaped and thinned and an H was cut out of the down tube lug
Beautiful bike and craftsmanship! Re: the thin tube steel, couldn't agree more - all my vintage steel bikes are either Reynolds 753 or Tange Prestige, gotta ride it to believe it.