Old 09-01-23, 07:26 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by jPrichard10
An '85 620 in my size in my neighborhood?

If I sell two bikes to buy one, that's still thinning the herd, right?
A few years ago it was in the neighborhood when it was still blue. It had been in Bellingham but was bought, which is how it got down south. These long chain stay bikes just work for me at my height. I didn't expect these heavier rims and heavier tires to be as fun to ride or as responsive as the much lighter DT Swiss wheels and Soma 42mm tires I had on here post-powder coat, but here I am. And now with the new-to-me Sora brifters going on it soon, it's even more staying with me. Even with the components sourced cost-effectively, it's not going to be a price anyone here wants to pay. The money I have into the frame purchase, canti boss work, powder coat, and decals would have to be eaten and it's proven itself plenty of times to be worth being one of just two bikes if I had to have things paired minimally again. At times I wonder why I bother with smaller tire stuff.

Selling two bikes to buy one, leaving you with one, would be both a gross thinning of the herd as well as a net thinning of the herd. There may be a few more tall bikes in your size in your neighborhood up for sale, but if you're looking for '85 620s, yeah, they're not very common. I've seen a few pop up on CL in other states and maybe 1 in the US. A super ragged one was at Recycled Cycles briefly as a frameset a year ago or so, but I already had a fully-invested-in 620 (seen here) and a second didn't make sense.