View Single Post
Old 11-15-11, 04:50 PM
stonefree
Icantre Member

Bikes: 2001 DBR Axis TT, 1998 Trek 5500 OCLV, 1993 Trek 1100, 1971 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1972 Gitane Attic Beater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sonyaj87@hotmai
Aspertame is scary... I just finished a book by a Candace Pert PH.D. Who is a research scientist that did her own study on aspertame. It's made from two amino acids, phentlalanine and asparic acid. Her finding were that attached two those two acids were mesthyl-ester which becomes methanol in the body. When methanol is broken down in the liver it turns into formaldehyde. According to the Merck Manual, formaldehyde had been listed as a carcinogen by the EPA.

It could be the cause of swelling on your legs but you'll know for sure when you stop drinking the stuff. I have drank diet sodas for years and have since stopped since reading that book. It's only been two weeks but I firgured I drank it so often that I was numb to some of the side effect. Who really knows but that information scared the piss out me. It was good information for me and I hope it help you.
Yes, exactly (formaldehyde is for preserving dead bodies as in 'embalming') and I didn't even need the EPA to tell me that. Aspartame as a sweetener is somewhat addictive also. Good post, thank you. For a while I thought I was the only poster that was mildly into chemistry. Splenda is not much better either unless any of us guinea pigs happens to enjoy chlorinated sucrose...aka sucralose. I prefer my chlorine outside my body in very low doses and I will even try to filter it out of my tapwater which I don't drink anyway. In other words chlorine is poison to all living things except plants and they're not talking. Ask the goldfish. Lets not even talk about saccharine. For what it's worth, I prefer Stevia as an acceptable sweetener and that's with no perceivable side effects after about five years.

Also to the following poster: I'm sorry Larra, but I did not see what your doctor said about aspartame, as it wasn't on your list of causes, did I miss something?

Last edited by stonefree; 11-15-11 at 05:05 PM.