View Single Post
Old 12-25-20, 02:50 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4788 Post(s)
Liked 3,914 Times in 2,545 Posts
Originally Posted by SpectrumTi
Find a store that has a lot of tester saddles and try them. I tried about a dozen of them blind, and what I thought I wanted and what my butt wanted were very different. I was really surprised. In the end I got a Selle SMP Glider and it has been great. Your butt knows!
This. Our butts are as different as our faces. (No, I have not looked. But Ive been observing what works for people 50 years.)

My city has a bikeshop with a saddle "library". 25 different saddles on the shelf. Pay $25 for a "library card". Take out any seat for a week. As many times as it takes. If you find one that is "it", they sell you a new one in the box and refund your $25. Many other shops here will take back any seat that has not bee abused for full credit towards another one or if none work, store merchandise.

When you put on that new seat, carry the wrench(es) to adjust it. Stop as needed and tweak. (I have 2-bolt seatposts on all but one bike, They are wonderful for allowing systematic small changes in tilt and fore and aft position.)

Bicycle saddles - the single most important "fit" item on a bike. Done right, the seat should be something you never think about. (Well, "never" is a dream but you should have rides where it never crosses your mind.)