View Single Post
Old 03-05-22, 05:26 AM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,373 Times in 720 Posts
Retirement and mental health

I have not retired from the work world, however this past fall I did retire from responsibility. I quit working in a high stress environment and took a zero stress job parking cars 40 hours a week. I work by myself all day and don't have to answer to anyone other than me. There are zero demands on my time and my brain. The big deal is that I no longer work 6 days a week as I have done for the past 40 years, and only work 5 days straight with two day weekends off.
An odd thing has popped up and I am wondering if those on this forum that are retired have experienced something similar. During the day I have my time to myself and the same goes after work and on weekends. I no longer do research into latest trends in tech or management so I have a lot of time to think and reflect. The past two weeks I have been giving thought to my past and some of the life shaping events that occurred and how I so desperately want to go back in time and change my reactions and the things I said. In a way, rewrite the chapters.
Sometimes it feels like I regret what happened, other times it is a desire for a different outcome. Its as if now that my mind is not preoccupied with work, it is reliving the past. Have others gone through this?