View Single Post
Old 04-10-22, 07:51 AM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 79 Posts
I think this topic and attitudes being discussed are the main detractors to many people enjoying riding their bike
In the OP's Post, two things stand out.
One is that in my own experience, he is absolutely correct about obsessed bike riders and their dangerously false entitlement issues. I've ridden a bike all over the U.S. and it is similar everywhere. Its because people are similar everywhere.

The second is the Photo he provided that shows a sidewalk running down the length of the road.

The entire situation can be avoided by pulling off on the sidewalk for a minute to let the long line of cars pass
Or
Just simply ride down the sidewalk making yourself the giveaway vehicle to pedestrians.
Or
Take a side street as he suggests

Point: Motorized vehicles don't always have the same choices.

The issue isn't the myriad of laws, the terrible traffic, or lack of accommodation for bikes. That has always been there and it will always be there, get used to it or suffer. The issue is that when a human spends 5k on a bike and dresses himself in another thousand in Toucan garb, they feel entitled.
This is a human foible with no upside. Money strikes again.

Personally, Im nearly 60 and still ride a bike like a 12 year old. Side walks and side streets. Avoiding vehicle traffic at all times. That doesn't make me better or less, as far as Im concerned in makes me alive and stress free. I enjoy riding my bike, not constant useless confrontation.

But... we can whine some more and see where that gets us.
If we are the first to display respect for others, the example is set and at the very least, we become the righteous side within the discussion. A side worth listening to, and a side that will get consideration.
One at at a time is a slow way to go about it, but humans are the same everywhere.
Suck it up and set the example is my offer.