Old 07-09-22, 06:37 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Start off easy and pace yourself through your ride, avoid going too hard., especially in the heat..., You're goal isn't to win a race, your goal is to complete 100 miles. Be sure to have enough drink and snacks to fuel yourself, it's better to bring extra than not have enough.
Same thing I always do. In fact, I get dropped by random groups at the beginning but I often catch up to the fast groups near the end of the ride as everyone slows down while I'm basically just trying to maintain the same pace throughout the ride. I'll push harder and go faster in the last 30 miles if it's not too hot. However, that is not your goal if this is your first century. Just try to maintain an easy pace/effort and might actually end up in the mid bunch or closer to the front.

Another thing is the amount / quality of the hydration and food you bring will have an effect on the pace you can maintain. On mostly flat terrain, you can bring even more since the extra weight would only be an imposition if there are lots of climbs.

Last edited by koala logs; 07-09-22 at 06:40 AM.