Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Texas A&M's Veterinary branch did a study on B vitamins. I remember hearing of the study in the 90's and it must not have been nationally published, or failed to get into the Human Medical Journals because I can't find it. Modern day man is commonly beneficent in B complexes and Iron. The study involved testing samples of buried humans over the past 150 years. Anyway... what was interesting was the major incidence of B vitamin deficiency started around 1910 in the USA and is possibly related to the advent of refrigeration of meat. (snip)
More hearsay . . . I saw a recent article discussing exhuming wealthy English folks from some time in the Middle Ages. The article explaining the findings said that while most folks now assume that those individuals consumed a lot of meat, mostly from watching films, the evidence was that in reality they dipped their bread in vegetable soup just like everyone else. The conjecture was that meat was very expensive at that time for everyone and wasn't to be wasted through overconsumption. Lords paid attention to their ledgers. As we should know, meat is vastly underpriced now, because the externalities of meat production are ignored. Back then, they couldn't do that. And I saw an article today, explaining that Neanderthals ate legumes.