View Single Post
Old 12-04-22, 02:55 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by utoner34
I have this bike, rode it even less than a month: https://breezerbikes.eu/products/radar-expert

Recently I went to check the wheels (not the first time since I got the bike, I have already taken them down before).

To my unpleasant surprise, the rear qr skewer is bent on the screw side (so the drive side, I tightent it on the other side).

I wouldnt even notice it if I didnt try to pull skewer out of the axle. It immediatelly reminded me how much I hate quick release axle. This is not my primary but secondary bike.

The axle looks ok.

The wheel was not sitting on the skewer, but the axle.

It was tightented propely.

Yes, the rear triangle has play, its a steel gravel bike, so there is movement when I ride.

Now I ordered a new skewer, but its un unpleasant reminder on how quickly the things can go wrong.

No, there is no warranty.

Currently my biggest fear is if this happens again, in which case I really dont know what one can do. I certanly cannot change skewers every month.

Was it the poor quality ( I doubt), or did it got loose (more than it should) during the ride for some reason I cant tell.
Was it bent in the center section or the threaded end that sticks out? either can be straightened... put it back into the axle up to the center of the bent area.. apply a bit of force... check it... re-insert and apply additional pressure.. check again.. straight? ok.. if not, rinse/repeat. Alternate method.. use a soft hammer(brass, in my case) and SMACK that sucker on the high side while it's on a piece of flat wood.... my workbench has several impressions from skewer threads in it....

and everyone needs to realize that STEEL IS FLEXIBLE... and STEEL FRAMES DO FLEX..

"Was it steel, titanium or aluminum or what?"
ALUMINUM SKEWER RODS? Really??? that is STUPID. wow.

As to titanium.. it Stretches to nearly 50% more than it's length before it breaks... Steel wants to break WAY Sooner... and no one has yet mentioned Titanium ALLOYS and their Aerospace capable qualities... All titanium we end users see is Alloyed before distribution...Raw Titanium is nearly impossible to machine/form/use... and Steel is an Alloy too, literally THOUSANDS of steel alloy combinations exist... Cro-mo is a range of STEEL alloys., etc.

the OP or someone else whacked the threaded end of the Skewer on something then found the bend later... a very common thing, IMO. if the bend is less than 20 degrees or so,straighten that sucker and go riding.... unless it's an "aluminum" skewer rod, then sue the company for endangering you life .

A bit on Titanium alloys... https://material-properties.org/stee...pros-and-cons/

ALUMINUM Skewer Rods? Really? SMH. Examples, please.. i need the laughs.

Last edited by maddog34; 12-04-22 at 03:36 PM.