View Single Post
Old 06-23-19, 11:45 PM
ricrunner

Bikes: Malvern Star Oppy S1 Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
I carry a 2 man tent for myself and my dog, it suits perfectly for that task, has 2 doors and vestibules, one vestibule I put my bags under and zipped it up from out side, unless it is heavy rain, then it all comes in. The dogs bed is in with me, as well as his sleeping bag, which I bring only in the cooler months. I cook in bad weather in the other vestibule, the tent can handle high winds, heavy rain and snow. It does weigh 2.7kg, but I love the comfort of it. Actually I love have the gear I bring for that extra comfort. I only tour no more then 6 hours per day, as I like to enjoy the place I will be staying at. Bicycle touring for me is more for the camping aspect, then the ride, although I enjoy both. It is up to the individual, if you want extra comfort take the gear. Sure their are ultralighters out there, but even those will understand that everyone else are just doing their own thing. Unless you want to spend 12 hours a day doing marathon rides, up hill and down dale, making as much distance as you can, then yes you would go light, but otherwise most if not all tours are a sedate holiday, and that is what my trips are. I don't want to exhaust myself on a trip. I just want a casual trip and get there and relax. I f that is what you want to do, take as much or as little gear as you want and are capable of carrying.