View Single Post
Old 11-27-20, 05:14 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3460 Post(s)
Liked 1,466 Times in 1,144 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
So... does this signal that the touring category is becoming even more marginal (and that there is significant restructuring to expect from brands deeply involved in this segment). Or that some "technologies" (26", v-brakes) are on the verge of becoming museum pieces? (is is actually becoming more difficult to source 26" rims/wheels/tires; I have no idea wrt v-brakes)
Ryde (formerly Rigida) made rims that had a carbide braking surface that did not wear out, I have them on my Nomad, the braking surface on them is like new even though they are over 7 years old. Ryde stopped making them a year or two ago, lack of demand for them due to disc brakes.

A few years ago Shimano stopped making the M756 rear hub in non-disc version for 36 spokes, lack of demand but that hub in the disc version (M756A) was available in 36.

When is the last time that a manufacturer came out with a new canti or V brake, they are selling old models but not investing in any new development.

And as you mentioned, 26 inch, some of the bike companies are afraid if they sell 26 inch bikes they will look like they are behind the times.

Not mentioned was the shift to through axle, I would not be surprised if all new bikes were through axle in five years and I have never seen a through axle bike with rim brakes.

A lot of this stuff is driven by what manufacturers want to sell, and they sell what the marketing department tells them is in demand.