View Single Post
Old 11-29-20, 03:19 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
I get that so many loved the old LHT for its simplicity and how it represented an older style of bike. There are tons still around, so all those who already have one and aren't in the market for another, can rest assured there will be plenty available on the secondary market even though they arent wanting to buy one.
Basically- get over it because you aren't the consumer they are trying to sell to since they already sold to you.

The new DT is interesting. From what ive seen, some thoughts.
- TA instead of QR is a logical change, given its a 2021 bike. This is simply keeping up with what the rest of the industry was doing a couple years ago. Alignment is easy and interface is stiff.
- The Alivio/Sora drivetrain is underwhelming for the cost of the bike. Given the scarcity of 3x drivetrain options, I get it, but im not impressed at the price point.
- I've seen many cry about the chainstay length. The new bike has 450mm stays. Good lord, what are you expecting or needing? I have size 14 feet and that'll be enough clearance for me.
- Bar end shifter vs STI will forever be a debate amongst touring folk. If you need bar end shifters, just buy some and toss em on. Some 9sm Microshift bar ends plus Tektro brake levers will cost $100 total. You could ebay the Sora shifters for more than that and make money.

I'll separate these since they are my biggest take away...
- Thank goodness Surly finally changed the geometry of the bike. The low head tube on the old design made for some absurd looking bikes with 120mm of stem spacers. The new geometry increases the stack height which gets bars up higher(clearly so many LHT users needed this) without requiring gobs of spacers. The handlebar they spec also helps a lot. Surly did its homework, saw how their bike is commonly set up, and adjusted to make the new model fit users better.
oh how terrible of them!**
- The frameset is clearly a better choice for many who have strong preferences when it comes to how their touring bikenwill look/feel/operate. It costs a very reasonable $765 and I am confident I could take the $1000 difference between frameset and full build and make something specific to me for the same price or less that is of equal or higher spec.
Likes For mstateglfr: