Old 11-30-20, 12:44 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
The reason so many people had to use so many spacers to get the bars where they wanted them, was because they bought a frame that was too small. The LHT was an old style frame. That type of frame usually had very little seat post showing, a fistful or less. When sized that way, you don't need a lot of spacers to get the bars at seat level or slightly above. With the new Disc Trucker, you trade headset spacers for a ridiculously long seat post. To me, it looks ridiculous. That is only my personal preference though, and overall, I think the Disc Trucker is a fantastic bike, I just prefer the old style design, and fit.
the old LHT/DT had a weird geometry for a touring bike. It was fairly low and really long like many other Surly bikes. The idea that people should have chosen larger sizes would in many cases cause the bike to be too long for the rider. If I used the correct height size ie 64cm I'd need to use a 50-70mm stem which would mess up handling and weight distribution. I now have a size 62cm and use 90-100mm stems.

the new geometry is far more sensible as it's higher and shorter. For me the new 62cm will likely be pretty optimal. For those who feel it's too short, a longer stem is always an option.

as for the sloping top tube, looks are personal but in terms of functionality the sloping top tube and long exposed seat post are both better than the alternative. A sloping top tube means shorter tubes in the frameset which translates to a stiffer frame and less chance of speed wobbles. Long exposed seat post on the other hand adds comfort as the seat post can flex more going over rough stuff. Frames themselves don't flex vertically so handing that job to the seat post is a good idea.

I also like the longer chain stays. It isn't just about space for my feet, it is about high speed stability. My LHT is dead on stable downhill at 45 mph fully loaded. I did it every day while commuting in the Ozarks. Sometimes the load was ridiculous, as shown in the picture I have attached. The bike was stable at speed, even when badly loaded like in the picture. The added space for bags and feet are a huge plus as well. It is one of the reasons I went with the LHT in the first place. I knew I could mount a large back, and not have to move it back on the rack to keep from hitting it with my heels. Not having to place the bag farther back, helps the bike handle well and remain stable when loaded
I can't recall what the chainstay length was on my Specialized road bike when I first started touring with it but I'm going to guess 425mm. With that bag clearance was hardly an issue and I have size 14 feet.

The new Disc Trucker, while great, is basically just another touring bike of the same design, a sloped top tube. It looks like a Trek, which looks like a Kona Sutra, which looks like, just about every other mainstream touring bike. It now looks like a too small frame, made to fit using a long seat post. It just doesn't look as nice, to me, as the old style LHT. Of course I grew up with the classic fit.
If everyone is using the same design principles they must have some merit right?
Likes For elcruxio: