View Single Post
Old 09-12-21, 11:07 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
You did a wonderful job fitting out an older, cheaper lugged steel frame with everything needed to gravel road. The only thing wrong with it is it didn't cost $3000 dollars. I know that you will be able to ride in groups of riders with carbon framed gravel bikes and mostly keep up or even beat a few up the hills depending on everyone's fitness. OP is in a pickle with new bikes really not available that fit him or possibly retrofit a couple of his existing bikes to get the gear ratios. The Siren call of a new bike is hard to ignore. However it is easy and cheap just to change gearing on his bicycles. I have gone both ways when it comes to bicycles. All my present bicycles are used bikes I retrofitted to my specifications.
1980 Nishiki Sebring with Vuelta SL37 wheels and Raceface MTB crankset in 180mm. My low gear is ridiculous at 24 34. I have yet to use it on the street but it is there. A nice cheap lugged steel frame in my size, 69cm. This is a nice fast bicycle.
Likes For tallbikeman: