View Single Post
Old 05-27-21, 06:25 PM
slickrcbd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I don't want this to sound like an insult because I really think this a serious reason for concern--if you've been cycling for a while and the most you can ride without total exhaustion is 3.5 miles of what does not sound like strenuous riding, I think cramping may be the least of your problems. I would think that's way beyond "out of shape" for a 30 year old--that sounds debilitated. I don't know if you're very heavy (which could explain this) or if something else is going on, but if you've described this to your doctor and all they're telling you is "more stretching", I really think you need a new doctor. Having been morbidly obese in the past, I can say that cycling at very high weight is an entirely different experience, and I just stopped doing it UNTIL I lost a bunch of weight, but if you're not morbidly obese and you're getting this tired this fast, I'd be very concerned about the possibility of a lot of other problems that probably need to be ruled out.

I'm not a doctor, but I've had good ones and bad ones, so take my advice for what it's worth.
I build up to 4-5 miles over the course of a summer, then I seem to revert back during the winter when I have my bike in the attic from Thanksgiving until the spring (when varies depending on the weather, sometimes early March, sometimes late April. More rarely early May if we have a cold March and rainy weekends in April).
Also I'm 42, not 30. I only noticed the cramping when I got to age 31 or 32. I took the bike out, rode 1.25 miles to the library (that is almost always the first place I go on the bike in the spring, not much of a ride but a good test. Occasionally it's the Westgate Shopping Center (aka Westgate Park & Shop) 3 blocks away) and picked up a book or movie (I can't recall, and it doesn't matter), then rode back. The next day my calves and thighs HURT. It's been like that ever since if I fail to stretch.
Before I turned 30, I never needed to bother stretching before using the bike. I'd just grab my helmet and water bottles (I don't usually bother with the water bottles going to the library (1.25 miles) or Jewel (about 1 mile) unless it's over 74 degrees outside, and then I only take the small one "just in case"), hop on, and go.

TL;DR? I make progress if the summer is mild enough to ride regularly, but then I backslide over the winter because I can't seem to get enough exercise or the right kind.
I think it's the latter, as I discovered that I can't run very far at all even though I can bike for miles. Different muscles are apparently used, and standing on your feet does not help with running either. I had an incident back in 2016 where I was working a part-time survival job at Sam's Club's electronics department and was almost late for work. Employees had to park in the far spaces, denoted by the white lines instead of yellow, and I ran from there to the back room and was completely out of breath.
Later that same year I had a weekday off on Garbage Day and was doing some last-minute yardwork and had one more yard waste bag when the garbage truck was spotted working the other side of the street. I had to get an extra sticker and ran for the hardware store 3 blocks away. I got the sticker and ran back just as the truck passed my house, but they let me give them the sticker and took the bag. I was completely out of breath and had cramps the next day.
ALMOST late for work, and I ran from the