Old 08-03-22, 08:35 PM
GMoser85

Bikes: Salsa Horsethief, Kona Ute Longtail

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
From late 1980s to just about 5-6 years ago, I would participate in a handful of triathlons every season (summer). Mostly sprints, a few Olys here and there, and a few close to half-iron distance. I usually competed as a Clydesdale too, and was usually able to maintain an +/- 8-minute pace in the tri runs. Additionally, I was always running road races, with a one or two half-Marathons every year, and a full Marathon every couple years. Then, I had to have a hip replacement at 56 years old. And now I have a knee that needs replaced (thankfully it doesn’t hurt with I ride). I’m pretty much done with running. But the culprit for the failing joints in my lower extremities??? I think it’s so much pounding the pavement with a heavier body over the years. I’m 6’2” and maintain a body weight of 195-200 lbs. So much long distance running with a body like that isn’t doing the joints any favors. I began distance running in h.s. in 1976 when I was like 5’10 and 150 lbs. If I had it to do all over again, I’d scale back the long runs once my body weight got up to 170-175-ish.

Dan
I try to run on grass, dirt, gravel or something besides pavement when I run. I feel it in my joints much more running on asphalt. Some say shoes make a difference. I have 3 pairs now and went through 2 others, I do see some differences but also depends on what I run on. My issue with running is I get bored and don't enjoy it much. Riding is so much more freeing. That is awesome you have been able to do all of that! My hat is off to you especially in your older ages. I have been overweight most of my life and looking to just be healthy. I don't need to be skinny, just happy and healthy. My body weight probably doesn't help with the enjoyment of running though.