View Single Post
Old 10-11-21, 04:10 PM
fporter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SRAM XPLR grinding/droning sound

I'm new to gravel riding having gotten a Canyon Grizl with the new SRAM XPLR group recently but have been riding road and mountain enthusiastically for a several decades now. I have put about 300 miles on my Grizl so far and am curious about an annoying grinding or droning sound coming from the XPLR drive train (10-44 XPLR cassette, flat top chain, 40t ring, SRAM 1 DUB crankarms). The rear der has been setup per SRAM instructions (micro adjust upper pully to line up on second to largest cog and set pulley gap with B screw while in that 2nd to largest gear). The flat top chain is the correct length. I've tried a couple different lubes, Squirt and T9. I haven't tried wet lube as SRAM recommends because i ride in dusty Utah and wet lube off road will attract lots of grit.

The sound isn't bad immediately after cleaning/lubing but a short time into a ride the drive train is making a droning sound like there is some poor fitting of the flat top chain on the cogs. Doesn't matter what cog i'm in. I've tried X-Sync and Wolftooth (the version compatible with SRAM flat top chains) chainrings and the sound persists.

The shimano 12 spd group on my mtb and shimano 11 spd drivetrain on my road bike using the same Squirt or T9 lubes don't make noises anything like this.

Has anyone else experienced this noise with XPLR or other SRAM flat top 12 spd drivetrains?