View Single Post
Old 05-20-23, 12:35 PM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 1,007 Times in 516 Posts
I got this Ted Williams Free Spirit in Bowling Green Ohio on the day of the Memory Lane bike swap. Ironically, I didn't find it at the swap, but at the Goodwill store about a mile away. It cost all of $27 with my veteran's discount. I lifted the handlebars and brake levers, brakes, and wheels off my Kabuki. I found a $5 seat post at the Monroe swap to replace the cheap steel post. The Titlist derailleur looked pretty ugly, so I swapped in a Spirt from the Marukin. I didn'tlike the stem shift levers, so I took the Campy ones from the FW Evans. I was facing a self imposed deadline, because I was trying to finish it in time for a friendly group ride on Thursday, so I was borrowing previously overhauled parts to save time. I may switch some things around later. At this point, even if I add the total cost of the bikes I borrowed parts from, I am still under the $108 budget.

I was running close on time, so there was no proper test ride. I went once in front of the house, then tossed the bike in the truck to go to the group ride meeting place. Luck was with me this time and the ride went without a hitch, no adjustments were needed. Next time, I'd like to try some fatter tires, the ride over chip seal and broken pavement was rough. 20 miles in the books.

1974 Sears Ted Williams Free Spirit with Reynolds 531 frame

1974 Sears Free Spirit as found
Likes For Pompiere: