Old 10-22-21, 08:39 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Ross200
Ryde makes Andra rims specially drilled for Rohloff-the angle of the spoke hole drilling is optimized for the large hub flange so the spoke path from the rim is less severe. The one photo seems to show quite an angle at the rim. Are these wheels laced 2X as the Rohloff manual requires? Many problems with Rohloff based wheels seem to result from not following the detailed instructions while building.
Yes, thank you, I am aware. All Andra rims have angled drillings. If one compares their rim angle drilling specifications to the 2x laced angles determined in a spoke length program (e.g. Freespoke), you find they match fairly well, both radially and laterally for a Rohloff hub. The nipple points in a straight line to the hub, no spoke bending at end of nipple. The angle is the nipple itself with respect to the rim surface, and polyax nipples aid in this angling. There is much talk of "Rohloff drilling" specific Andra rims angles, but I have personally contacted Ryde and they say there is no such thing, the rims are all the same. I followed Rohloff's detailed instructions when I built the wheels. Its not particularly difficult since the wheel has no dish. But, this angle is likely a stress point in the rim hole and so perhaps washers would spread that pressure point, not clear.

The cracks are very small, but a concern. We might bike towards Alaska next year if Canada leaves the door open I would like to determine what action to take on a new wheel to stop this problem. I will pressure Ryde for answers, but that is like sending an email into a black hole. I don't consider myself an expert, so it is good to have comments with different perspectives.