Thread: Watts/Cadence
View Single Post
Old 12-08-23, 10:01 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 1,744 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by RChung
This paper's study subjects are world class and elite track athletes (so not really relevant to us) but what's interesting is that "field-derived" (i.e., velodrome) and "laboratory-derived" (i.e, on a stationary bike) cadence and max power were different. This means that the "load characteristics" of the stationary bike and the velodrome track were also different. World-class track athletes are an edge case but it suggests that "freely chosen" cadence and torque may not be directly transferrable between lab to road.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full...4.2023.2288435
Relatedly, and perhaps interestingly, the ride data I posted upthread was an outdoor ride, while on Wednesday, I did a stationary ride on the old PowerTap 300Pro (or Pro 300; I forget) and looked at the PowerAgent data, including torque. I was just doing 5min blocks of L3 and L4 (so Tempo and Threshold) alternating cadence from 80-85, 90-95, 85-90rpm and back, so it was easy to see to torque values. As it does, PowerAgent reports in Nm, but I was seeing values like 7.5Nm-8nm (L3 and L4 respectively, ~250w and ~300w) which convert to only around 5.9ft-lbs. It seems either like something is way out of whack in either one or both of the readings, or it's an extreme example of the paradigm proposed in the report.

I didn't have time to dig bag in ancient files from the PowerTap (going back to 2011) to compare torque values, but maybe I'll try to do that some day. I don't have a computer with PowerAgent anymore, but my coach has one in the studio, so it should be possible.