View Single Post
Old 01-30-23, 10:04 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
Had this done on both eyes last September and opted to pay the $7K complete correction upgrade. For the first time since I was a young child I no longer wear glasses. I was informed before the surgery that with this type of correction I would see halos around bright point source lights like streetlights and headlights. It's true and more pronounced than when my vision was uncorrected. I'd still opt for the same treatment. My vision had gotten so bad with cataracts that 20/40 was the best the optometrist could correct for. I was worried about driver license renewal later this year and now that is not an issue. Surgery and followup were uneventful but a nearby neighbor who had her cataracts removed in September was not so lucky and has vision problems to this day. Medicare and my secondary insurance would completely cover cataract removal but only for the cheapest option with me still needing multifocal glasses. Single vision correction, either far or near but not both, would have cost about $4K and I would then get by with either reading or distance glasses. I don't need a magnifying glass except for very tiny print. A lot of things that were unreadable unless I was very close are now perfectly readable from a distance (e.g.,like overhead street signs that I can read far in advance now).

It's great to not have to deal with glasses. One side effect is I have to be very careful with things that would have gotten stopped by the glasses. There is nothing to protect me from getting splashed or poked in the eye now and who wants to damage a $3,500 eyeball! I did notice far more need to wear sunglasses in bright daylight. I guess the old cloudy lenses blocked some of the sunlight.