Old 02-25-11, 10:55 PM
onionskin

Bikes: Motobecane Super Mirage Conversion, EAI Toyo Godzilla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I came into riding FG just recently at the gentle suggestion of my LBS when I was looking to build up a new commuter "why do you need gears to commute?".
These are very challenging bikes to ride but you guys give me inspiration that I can enjoy this for many years. Riding fixed has made me a stronger, more disciplined rider, and it about as much fun as I have had on two wheels maybe since my first green Schwinn Stingray. So, if you are like me and have an old road bike to convert DO NOT HESITATE ANOTHER MINUTE! Do it now, you aren't getting any younger!
Also, sometimes those young, hip kids know a good thing so lets not be too harsh on them for bringing FG/track bikes into mainstream pop culture by whatever name*; there are and have been way worse trends. This is a good thing and I hope it hangs on longer than the '80's bike boom did.

*even though I am new to FG riding I have a certain disdain for that word too. One of my buddies, a very serious over 40 rider, likes to call my bike that word and it really bugs me. That is one Midwest perspective for you guys on the coasts.