Old 03-02-11, 03:36 AM
StuMo

Bikes: Mongoos Morris, Dawes Adventurer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, I think I may have found the very forum for me; born before 1971? Check... single speed bike? Check... Umm... so hello!

I must confess to only have had my "fixie" (fixed, fix, fixer, SS/FG, SS&FG or whatever you personally think of when referring to a bicycle with one gear ratio), for a mere three days (2.5 days to be very precise!). It's a Mongoose Maurice, not totally top of the tree but top of my budget. I have "customised" it with a speedo, yet to get that working, and a light, which broke. But I went for my first fixed gear ride today and I LOVE IT! I have never had one before and I found it a punishing ride, bearing in mind I have not ridden properly in over 20 years, the sale of my beloved classic Merc has forced me back into a two wheel mode of transportation and I am annoyed I never went back before.

I bought a second hand £30 Dawes men's shopper about 5 years ago and had a summer of riding into our local town and back, about a mile, and I even got a child trailer and towed the kids about for a bit but that sort of stopped coz it got cold and wet. But I'm back and the endorphins are flowing freely around my bod as I write, or it may be the lack of Oxygn to my brain. I now realise how unfit I have gotten mainly due to bad knees and lack of motivation. Anyway, hello, and I have to say as a lurker on this board for a week or two I have been admiring the steeds you all ride, which in part inspired me to get one (I thought they may be the preserve of the cool, urban kids). Anyway, 'nuff said, maybe too much said!

One question before I leave for a bit, going downhill... What's the procedure I felt at times like my legs were being driven by the crank and I didn't have a high enough gear, any tips, tricks or advice is all greatly received by this, rightly called, "Newbie".