View Single Post
Old 07-06-13, 06:25 PM
northernlights

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
You're making my point. Search all you want and you won't find me being critical of how or why anybody rides.

I repeat, cycling is not a homogenous activity, cyclists ride many ways and for many reasons. Some cyclists ride multiple bikes, for multiple reasons, and yes, dress differently depending on circumstances.

No style of riding is better or worse than any other, which is my objection to the Dutchman's video. He looks disdainfully of people who have a different style of riding to what he sees at home in his cyclists paradise.

BTW- this kind of thing has been going on for as long as I've been involved in the sport, (since the mid sixties) and I'm sure before that.
I mostly agree with what you're saying except I don't see how the Dutchman is being 'disdainful.' He's simply making an observation about the differences he sees between American and Dutch cycling. He isn't saying one is better than the other. Every culture, every country has different customs and different ways of doing things. That's what makes the world interesting. To merely point out these differences doesn't mean you are being derisive of them.

Maybe some ways might be better than others, and everyone has a different opinion about that but the Dutchman didn't get into that. He wasn't making any judgments. He leaves it up to you to decide for yourself. The Dutch probably know more about cycling as a form of mass transportation than anybody else. Personally I think it would be extremely arrogant of us to think that we can't learn anything about it from them.