sudo bike
Bicikli Huszár

Bikes: '95 Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by northernlights
But why would I want to go through the trouble and expense of swapping out my drop bars for mustache bars just to improve comfort when I can simply by a hybrid that comes with wider handlebars already on it? As a casual rider why would I want a road bike at all? I'm not training for the cycling Olympics. So I would keep it simple. Overcomplexity is not how to make cycling appealing to the masses if that's what we're trying to do. By masses I mean men, women and children. Road cycling is appealing really only to a very limited demographic, primarily to certain adult males who are into speed cycling. I rarely if ever see women or kids on road bikes.
There is nothing preventing you from buying a road bike with something other than drops. That's a... weird argument to make in this context.

Why would you want a road bike? In my case, versatility. With one touring bike, I have a vehicle that makes a good commuter, can haul lots of stuff, and is good for longer rides and vacation touring. They have larger tire clearance for more comfort and light offroading, and are designed to have fenders and tons of ability to haul stuff (rack mounts, etc).

Look, there's nothing wrong with Dutch city bikes. I love them to death, and I think they're really cool. But I think you are unfairly dismissing another kind of cycling you have very little experience with. There is nothing about a road-style frame that makes them any less competent for commuting. I'm not sure why you seem to be insisting on covering everyone else with the same blanket that covers you instead of just chalking it up to people being, ya know, different, and having different needs. You don't do any long-distance riding, so a city bike works for you. Great! I want to do city riding as well as being able to, say, go bike-camping, and I can't afford 2 bikes, so it makes more sense to me to get a bike that does both well.