View Single Post
Old 05-13-20, 08:07 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by Wiggle
What pressure are you running in those 38s? Right now I am going to about 65 psi ( bodyweight is 175 lbs). Was considering going a bit lower.
Im a lot lighter than you by a good 35lbs so that is high for me, even when Ive been carrying a good 25lbs on the rear.
I suggest that you get a small gauge so that you can ride on different surfaces and try lowering pressures by lets say 5psi each time, and see how it feels.

Don't forget that you arent faster with high pressures, despite what is commonly thought. In most peoples minds, "Fast" = " lots of fast vibrations coming from tires" but the reality is that this isnt the case.
It helps if you can have a route that you do regularly and try out diff pressures and you can compare the time vs comfort factor of different pressures. You'll be surprised to see how that by lowering pressures gradually to reduce the sharpness or harshness of a bikes ride, your body will notice less harshness and tiring of this, but your speed will actually be the same.

also dont forget that you should run less pressure on front tire. There is less weight there and you'll greatly appreciate a less harsh ride on your hands and arms and all that with less pressure.
An example for me would be lets say 90psi , 80 psi front on my 28s, even lower at times, 85r 75f, 80r 70f....
on 38s I can run 45r, 35f , a bit more if with bags
on 45-50mm at least 5psi less than with 38s

but try on your own, best way to get a feel for things, especially with a regular loop that you do that allows you to ride for a while and compare relative times. Stop lights and such will always play a big part, but it should be fairly evident if X psi is a lot more comfortable body wise and more or less the same time.

its also a good exercise to learn to be more observant and think about how diff pressures feel and ride.

I love cornering, and began figuring out that lower pressures make a bike turn better. Over pressure makes especially the front skittish, where lower pressures will give a much more planted feel and allow for more suspension effect that give more traction. Ive ridden two wheeled bikes and motorcycles forever and probably have more experience than some for "feeling" out traction due to my motorcycle racing days, but trying out diff pressures is a good exercise for anyone to do, just make gradual changes and be careful to observe the different feelings.
Likes For djb: