View Single Post
Old 10-18-20, 09:41 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I think this amount of stuff is very very common, especially if not being totally obsessed with fitting everything super tight into a given amount of packing space (which bikepacking bags would tend to lean towards, partly cuz of actually litres available and also shape and numbers of actual containing structures, seatbags, handlebar bags, framebags or those small feedbags and gastanks etc.

On my trip, I could have maybe eliminated the front panniers, but it would have meant not having some things and / or having absolutely no extra space for a shopping trip and carrying food.

... and was glad to easily have the room for this, and also to be able to buy something like a container with some sticky buns in it, kinda bulky and rectangular, not heavy but easy still to stuff in one of my pannier tops.

like Tourist said, sometimes ease of use is worth it, both in packing stuff in, and having spare room

...One of the poor guys was..."where did you get that pastry.......?"
Every bikepacker I have seen has worn a small backpack, something in the 15 to 20 liter range, which is slightly smaller than a pair of most front panniers. But I have never seen a person with four panniers wear a backpack. But you never see the backpack in the photo of the bike because the person holding the camera is wearing the pack.

I always plan for extra space, but some of my trips are over a week between grocery stores, so I probably need more contingency space than most people because of my choice of trips.

My last trip, I recall seeing some really delicious pastries in a large disposable clear plastic box shaped container, I had about a 25 liter dry bag on top of my rack that had enough space for that box of pastries. They tasted really good for about three days and the box was stiff enough that they did not get crushed.

Also on that trip, it was nice having that dry bag with that much excess volume so I did not have to squeeze down on the dozen eggs to get the drybag closed. Eggs lasted for several days too.