View Single Post
Old 06-25-21, 10:31 AM
velomateo

Bikes: '87 Serotta Colorado,'96 Moots VaMoots, Bertoni MAX, Eddy Merckx Grand Prix Team USA

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 148 Posts
Over the last few weeks I have been dialing in the Walton and really enjoying getting it out on some rides. I mentioned earlier that I had found a Shimano 13-24 freewheel in my stash to replace the 12-21 it came with. Yesterday the new freewheel started to hang up a bit, I obviously didn't provide it with enough lube after it's many years residing in a cardboard box. After I pulled it off I noticed that it also had two broken teeth on the 19t cog, so I decided to pull it apart. In my trusty stash box I found a ridiculous 12-19 6 speed Dura Ace freewheel, that I would never have a use for. It did though appear to have very low miles and spun like new. So I put the cog set from the gummed up freewheel on the free spinning Dura Ace freewheel body and all was right in the world. Even though this gearing still isn't optimal for my age + skill + age... it's still ride-able.

This bike has made very good use of the stash box. I have been able to find nearly everything I have had a need/want for - without having to go out and buy it. So far bar tape and a couple stainless water bottle cages are the only thing I've had to pop for. That and having the tools to be able to rectify my freewheel situation provides a certain level of satisfaction.

Here's a few updated pics.

Last edited by velomateo; 06-25-21 at 01:34 PM.
Likes For velomateo: