View Single Post
Old 09-22-21, 09:50 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
Now I'm curious -- which ones made the podium?
https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...ormchaser.html

Kinda funny that the thread title is 6 helmets as that quickly escalated.
I kept a MET Rivale MIPS and an Abus Stormchaser.

The Abus is crazy light, has good ventilation, I love the sewn straps that lie flat, the buckle and strap retention is simple but effective, and fit works great. Padding is minimal, but with a cap I dont care. No MIPS, but I am not convinced that is vital.
The MET is really nicely finished, good ventilation, straps lie flat, comfortable padding, and retention dial is nice. The strap is meant to pull tight each time you put on the helmet which is different but easy to adapt to, but the strap retention band slips every now and then so the strap dangles until you slide it back up.
Both have easy sunglass retention, which was key.

In addition to fitting well and seeming to be well made, I have a couple of really odd and admittedly arbitrary demands- I need my glasses to be over the straps, so helmets where the strap is anchored out from the helmet is a no-go. I wanted white(which eliminated some good options for sure), and I didnt want to look like Toad from Mario.

I ultimately bought...
MET
Kask x2
Poc x3
Abus
Kali x2
Giro x2

Then additionally I tried in stores...
Oakley
Specialized
Bontrager
Lazer