prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by rgvg
I'm not really familiar with Rocky Mountain, but if I see a really big one I'll let you know. Is that a relatively new model then? From what year? Usually my eye catches more on c&v types than not.

Also I was only part of the whole transaction as another guy is taking care of the part I don't have experience with, which is packing and shipping. It was a good experience for me as I've not done this before and the seller and the other facilitator were interesting people. Trying to figure out how to fit a medium sized frame into a small box was a mental exercise I didn't quite finish but wow those shipping prices! I might go ahead get a box and try to fit one of my frames and forks in them to see how small I can get them anyway one of these days.

Yes if that Bob Jackson had been my size I would have been all over it. I started off interested in touring bikes but I think I have come to the conclusion my family will never bike tour with me so I think sport touring bikes are more realistic now.

Bye
Sounds like quite an interesting experience overall. I haven't posted anything in a long time and can imagine that postal prices are now bordering on ridiculous. Something is seriously wrong when a parcel can be shipped from Northern Ireland or Spain to here in North America, and it costs 1/3 the price what it costs to send the same parcel domestically.

There'll be other bikes coming your way eventually. There is always another bike! Thank you for the offer to keep an eye out. It's ok though. If one never happens along, or if it does, then we'll have to wait for fate to decide. The Sherpa 30 is of interest only because it is Canadian made, uses 853 tubing, can take fatter tires and is a good overall lunchpail tourer. I've never even ridden one so it might not be suitable, but it would be nice to try to see for sure. I've dreamed of riding from here to Ottawa to visit a relative, the taking the train back home. There are many other comparable choices out there if I am never able to find a Sherpa. A Thorn Nomad would be even better! That Bob Jackson is a fine looking frame. If you're into C&V bikes, I think there are many fine older touring bikes to pick from.