blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
gruppo, not groupo.
Yes, and Nuovo not "Nuevo"

Back in the NR era, the only black that came stock (that I can recall) is the cages on Superleggera pedals, and a few small parts like derailer stop screws/springs, hub cones/locknuts and the oil hole cover clip on the hubs.And since those (all but the pedal cages) are steel parts, it's not anodizing anyway.

SR brought a bit more black, mainly parts of the F&R derailers. They showed all-black chainrings when they first announced SR, and the Raleigh catalog showed a Team Pro with black rings, but then when SR groups showed up they had siver rings. OK with me, black rings always look awful after a few miles.

Other than that, any color anodizing you saw was aftermarket, done by hotrodders.

My fave from BITD was Art Stump, who did color anodizing (green on one of his own personal bikes I saw), followed by intense drillium that cut through the ano to show the silver alloy underneath. Here's a black one found on the web:

That was probably blacker originally. Some black ano fades a bit in sunlight, eventually to a kind of brown, not sure why some and not all.

Mark B
Likes For bulgie: